Download • Save • Print
• 500g mixed mushrooms (portobello, chestnut etc)
• 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
• 5 cm piece of ginger, chopped
• 1 onion, chopped
• 1 fresh red chilli, chopped
• 500g ripe mixed-colour tomatoes, chopped • Groundnut oil
• 1 tsp turmeric
• 1 tsp fenugreek
• 1 heaped tsp black mustard seeds
• 1 heaped tsp medium curry powder
• 1 tin of coconut milk
• 2 limes
• 1 bunch of fresh coriander
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F. Roughly chop some of the mushrooms, keeping the smaller ones whole and tearing up the rest. Tip into a large casserole dish and toast on the hob over a medium heat
for 5 to 8 minutes, until nutty and really golden.
2. Meanwhile, peel and finely slice the garlic, ginger and onion. Trim and finely slice the chilli, then roughly chop the tomatoes.
3. Add all of it to the pan except the tomatoes, then add 1 tablespoon of oil and the spices. Toss for 2 minutes, stirring continuously, until the spices are toasted and it’s smelling lovely. Add the tomatoes and coconut milk, stir to combine and season well with sea salt and black pepper.
4. Cook for 30 minutes until all cooked through. Taste and season as required, adding a little lime juice if needed.
5. Roughly chop the coriander leaves and scatter over the top when serving. Cut the remaining lime into wedges for people to squeeze over the top.